7/25/11

Growing Up

Life is about growing up, and I've gone through this "I'm grown up now, so I can make this speech" stage before. When I turned 16, I thought I was grown up enough because I could drive around all by myself, and when I turned 18, I thought i was grown up enough because I was an adult and could do WHATEVER I wanted. Well now, I think I'm grown up enough because I'm moving 3000 miles away from everything I know. I'm a memories & nostalgia kinda girl, and its hard for me to let things go. Honestly though, after being in college for a year - away from my family - I've learned a lot about myself. One of those things is that you have to work for your friendships. You can't just let them go untouched, and you have to talk to your friends when you want to keep the friendship (although you are 3-5 hours away).

What I've learned lately though, is that you can't be the only one. I have so many "friends" who I wanted to stay in touch with, but now that I'm growing up, I realize I'm the only one trying. I knew I wasn't going crazy in high school when I said this, because I've grown and I know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not jealous and I'm not mad, but it is upsetting that I have to let some of my oldest friends go because we've grown apart, and they have better things to do than even keep up with me apparently.

I love my new friends, and above all, I know I have my sisters. I think that even when I'm 50, I can call then whether they live in the same county as me, or if they live in a different country. I do have friends other than my sisters (don't get me wrong, haha) but only they and a couple other friends are the only ones I know I will keep before I'm done growing up. I'm going to learn to let the other go, and even though we have so many memories, I'm going to have to learn how to keep the memories, and move on. Its bittersweet, but I'm going to have to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment